There are a lot of people out there who think that body piercing is just about pinching a piece of flesh and poking it with a sharp object like a needle or syringe. In a general way of thinking, they are probably right; but piercing also involves proper precautions to prevent infection or nerve damage.
The art of body piercing isn’t just about the piercer. The person getting pierced needs to think about a lot of things like where to get pierced, what piece of jewelry they should get, and more importantly, if they should get a piercing at all. Continue reading on to find out what things you should consider before getting pierced.
Navel Piercing Fails
1. If you’re getting more than one piercing, it’s always important to think about where yours are going to be placed.
2. When going for double navel piercings, it’s necessary for you to have the right jewelry. Since the two piercings are very close to each other, poorly chosen belly rings might easily clash with one another.
3. If you plan to pierce your navel on your own, you better make sure that the holes are properly aligned with one another.
4. Unlike other body piercings, getting multiple piercings on your abdomen can easily go over the top. The design ends up looking cluttered.
5. One sign of poor piercing technique is the end result when a would heals. Reddening of the wound is common when the piercing is new, but if it continues for days, then you might want to have it checked.
6. If you’re gonna get a navel piercing, you should at least show your navel. This problem however, can easily be remedied by using a larger belly ring.
7. If you’re planning on becoming pregnant soon, then you might want to postpone getting your navel pierced to avoid it getting sealed like this one.
8. The majority of people who have a navel piercing are women. If you’re a guy and suddenly decide to get one, just make sure that the belly ring won’t get hidden behind all that body hair.
9. Even though having a belly ring is very cute, you still need to think about using the right accessories. There are some belly rings that don’t go well when placed near one another
10. Pregnancy and belly piercing don’t really go hand-in-hand. This is because the skin on the abdomen is constantly stretching as the baby grows. If you still want to keep a piercing on, there are belly rings that are specially designed for pregnancy.
11. A piercing should never turn into a keloid if it is properly done and taken care of.
12. No matter how big your navel may be, there is still a limit to how many belly rings you should fit through it.
13. Adding belly button studs to the amount of studs she already has on her body is just plain redundant, not to mention the fact that the pattern that the studs should depict isn’t that clear.
14. Although some people might find her piercing cool, the majority would still think of the big black spike going through her navel to be a bit creepy or disturbing.
15. It’s always important to take care of your piercing. Infected wounds weaken the tissue around your piercing. This can result in scarring and might even lead to an open navel, especially if your piercing is shallow.
Tips on how to care for your new piercing
- Avoid touching your piercing so much. If you do and you can’t help it, then wash your hands before you do.
- Clean your piercing and navel regularly.
- As much as possible, try to avoid removing the jewelry to keep the wound from sealing up.
- Only use jewelry that is good in quality. Don’t use jewelry that rusts.
- Check on your wound regularly to detect any possible signs of infection.
The majority of these piercings actually happened because of would-be piercers and DIY piercing. You can easily avoid all the embarrassment and pain by simply going to your nearest piercing shop.
Now, just because you’ve finally decided to get pierced at a piercing shop, doesn’t mean that you’re out of the woods just yet. You have to make sure that the piercing shop that you choose is a respectable one. Try asking around in your area, or talking to people who also have piercings. If that still fails, you can also do a search on the internet through Google.